A three-year Marine Electro-Technical Officer (METO) – Operational (Unlimited) programme is offered to Officer Cadets following a Foundation Degree route, which leads ultimately to the award of:
- Foundation Degree (FdEng) in Marine Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- UK MCA METO Certificate of Competency (STCW A-III/6 OOW)
- A GMDSS radio maintenance certificate and an electronic navigation equipment maintenance (ENEM) certificate.
The programme also offers a direct top-up pathway to BEng (Hons) Marine Engineering and Management
The scheme consists of five phases (usually over three years): three spent at the Academy for academic delivery and two at sea gaining practical experience. The education and training programme consists of four distinct but complementary elements.
- Academic education in conjunction with work-based learning on board ship
- Engineering workshop skills training to MNTB-approved standard
- Practical training on board ship, including completion of an MNTB Training Record Book. This enables officer cadets to develop the professional competency needed for initial certification by the MCA
- In addition to the academic studies, the MCA requires officer cadets to take a number of safety and survival courses during their cadetship.
For further information, please see Officer Cadet Training and also review the Maritime Career Progression Charts for METO certification.
Course Availability & Fees
Please contact the Admissions and Recruitment team for further information:
Tel: +44 (0)23 8201 5015